Best two lens setup for landscapes

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Verland Regular Member • Posts: 108
Re: Best two lens setup for landscapes

SafariBob wrote:

Verland wrote:

Hello all, my first post here. I look for advise.

I want to carry not more than two lenses on my trips and I prefer lightweight. I already have the 16-35, which I love, and the kit lens, which usually leaves me wonder if something is wrong with that lens (almost never really sharp).

Edit: My cameras are the A7 and A5100.

Any advise will be appreciated.

Is it purely for landscapes? Are you comfortable swapping lenses often, if yes, the answer is the 70-300 I think. if less swapping i would consider the 24-105. As a lighter or more versatile option you could use the 55 or 85 1.8.

Personally though, I am thinking of going for the 24-105 as a one lens landscape solution

Yes, usually I shoot landscapes. And to be honest, I am not comfortable to swap lenses often. I dislike it so much that I used to carry two cameras for my two lenses with me. So I had the A7 with 16-35 and the A5100 with 28-70, which translates to 42-105 ff. This setup in theory is almost perfect for me, since it covers everything from 16 to 105 mm. But sometimes I wanted more wide angle (like 12 mm) and the quality of the 5100 + 28-70 combi did not convince me.

The 24-105 is very interesting indeed, I am only concerned about the weight. Personally I would not use it as the only lens, because I love extreme wide angle.

The 55 1.8 would nicely complement my 16-35. I might miss the range between 70 and 100, however.

SilvanBromide wrote:

Verland wrote:

I want to carry not more than two lenses on my trips and I prefer lightweight. I already have the 16-35, which I love, and the kit lens, which usually leaves me wonder if something is wrong with that lens (almost never really sharp).

Edit: My cameras are the A7 and A5100.

Any advise will be appreciated.

You might like the FE 50mm Macro. It has more reach than your 16-35 and better IQ than the kit lens, plus it's very compact, light and affordable.

-- hide signature --

Former Canon, Nikon and Pentax user.
Online Gallery: https://500px.com/raycologon

Didn't think about the macro. Interesting.

I wonder if cropping to something like 70 would still deliver acceptable quality. 28-70 vs 50, but cropped to 70, will the zoom win in this case?

richj20 wrote:

Verland wrote:

I'll second the suggestion for the 50mm Macro lens. I pair it with my FE 4/12-24 G for landscapes.

From recent trips:

- Richard

Beautiful images, Richard! I also thought about the 12-24 and in fact bought it already. But I have to return it, because it's badly decentered. So time to reconsider my options.

Between 24 and 50 is a quite big gap, doesn't it bother you sometimes?

MedicineMan999 wrote:

But to answer the OP's question my two lens answer these days for landscaping is the 12-24 and 24-105....obviously with those choices I'm not a die-hard landscaper. I have a Batis 18 but not for IQ above the two I listed but for weight-when the waterfall/view is a long walk.

I already thought about this combo, it looks almost perfect (sometimes maybe a bit heavy). No overlap and both lenses seem to be very good. But my 12-24 wasn't good and it won't be easy to sell my 16-35.

Are you happy with that combo, do you use it often?

Verland's gear list:Verland's gear list
Sony a5100 Canon EOS M6 Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 18-150mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow