Maybe an odd question, I have a Nikon 70-200F/4 for my long lens...

Started 11 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
lambert4
lambert4 Senior Member • Posts: 2,313
Maybe an odd question, I have a Nikon 70-200F/4 for my long lens...

It's not long by any means but on my D500 is adequate for most days and I like it for mid day lacrosse and occasional portrait (casual) uses.  I am headed to Yellowstone NP in the Spring and a new lens isn't in the budget but it allows me to spend as long as I can recoupe the funds.

I am contemplating buying a used 200-500 or 80-400 old version Nikon lens, both I feel I can shop for and find a smoking deal on that would allow me to resell them at little to no loss.

The question is whether the old version 80-400mm will actually perform or make my 70-200mm f/4 redundant?

A few points, I like the size and fixed length of the 70-200, but it isn't a deal make/breaker.  In all honesty when I consider my kit weight, I should really consider my weight and drop the extra pounds there.

I have filters in almost every size up through 82mm from years of this hobby.

I am not a pixel peeper, but I do tend to crop images (likely due to 200mm being my long lens) which degrades resolution quickly.

I am most critical of AF speed and erratic behaviors.

Thanks in advance, I understand the final decision is mine, and just appreciate perspectives other than mine as well as the experienced opinions of the forum.

-- hide signature --

Here's to learning something new everyday, and remembering it the next.

lambert4's gear list:lambert4's gear list
Nikon D500 Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD Nikon 35mm F1.8G ED +3 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow