After-Christmas midrange zooms comparison

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Woj2007
Woj2007 Regular Member • Posts: 147
After-Christmas midrange zooms comparison

Taking the opportunity to wish all of You all the best in 2018, I am attaching three pictures taken with D7200 and (a) 17-55 AF-S, (b) 16-80 AF-S, (c) 18-55 AF-P. It's not too scientific, just some pixel peeping exercise

All shots taken at ISO 100, f5.6, and t1.6, tripod, self-shutter, 2 meters away from the Christmas tree. Single point focus, set on the blue bulb in the middle.

1) 17-55: I am all the time happy with it. Probably my best mid-range lens so far (even though with no VR, nano-things and other gimmicks). Not so sharp in the corners perhaps, but sharp in the centre, constant f2.8, producing magical photos. Had to fine-tune it to -20 to make it sharp.

2) 16-80: somewhere in between the 17-55 and 18-55. This is my second copy of the lens -  I sold the first one as it irritated me. The new one  still irritates me, I guess I expected a perfect optics in the zoom ;/ Had to fine tune it to -10, and when shooting at close distances I have to use live view, or the fine tune has to be set to -20 to get close things sharp. Otherwise, when you get used to its shortcomings, it is a very good lens, brighter than 18-55 at the same settings, producing better colors.

3) 18-55: perfect holiday lens; light, sharp, focusing fast and quiet, and great for macro! Sharpest at 55 mm. The sharpest of 'em all if you shoot the micro-macro bugs. For large prints, you see that it's "pixelling" sooner than the other two lenses, when magnified.

So, what's your mid-range zoom choice? What's your favourite?

Again, all the best in 2018, and limitless funds for new glass

-- hide signature --

Best,
Wojtek

Woj2007's gear list:Woj2007's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G
Nikon AF-P 18-55mm F3.5-5.6G VR Nikon D7200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow