Panning with the Nikon 200-500

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Cameranoobie Senior Member • Posts: 2,653
Panning with the Nikon 200-500

I rented this lens over Christmas for a weekend but unfortunately it just wasn't enough time for me to fully test it. So I rented it again for a couple more days and I find that I am having difficulty trying to pan with this thing.

If I was to buy this lens I would be mostly panning with it very close to the ground to shoot fast action outdoors, with me laying on the ground.

I find it very hard to zoom in and out and pan with it because the zoom requires two full cranks with your wrist to go from 200-500 and vice versa. I did find that removing the collar does help though, it's one less thing in the way but then it really hinders your ability to comfortably set the camera and lens on any surface.

For those who have this lens and shoot fast action sports with it outdoors, can you give me tips on comfortably and smoothly panning with it?

Even when I am not on the ground panning with it, I find my arms get tired really quick.

Cameranoobie's gear list:Cameranoobie's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Nikon D5500 Nikon D5600 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +9 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow