A very good lens for portraits

Started 6 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
goactive Senior Member • Posts: 1,173
A very good lens for portraits

I picked this lens up used for $500 it looks like new.

I have now as of posting this shot three portrait sessions using it for some of the images.

I am very happy with it. It produces very sharp in focus images on my D500.

Shooting with the D500 being a cropped camera I do need to be a good ways back from the subject but I will be buying an another FF camera soon so that will move me up closer by 20 to 25 feet VS the cropped camera and give a little better bokeh background blur.

I love the background compression I get from this lens and with t not having VR that has not been a problem at all.

On my D500 focus is very fast, in fact, I was able to shoot a 9-year-old running at full speed at me and nailing the shots in single focus mode without the need to go to continuous focus.

Before buying the lens I had read some reviews say I might get some purple fringing and i have to see it has been very little and easy dealt with in Lightroom. Most of the time i have no fringing at all i have only seen it a little when shooting on the beach in bright sunlight on faraway subjects (a group of people walking on the beach) but as they get closer it all went away.

I will be shooting portraits in 2018 using two cameras my D500 with a 17-55 2.8 on it for the group shots and a FF maybe D750 with the 180mm on it for the single person or two people close in portraits to get the great background bokeh and background compression.

Here is a few photos from the Nikon 180mm 2.8 shot with the Nikon D500. The background bokeh will be even better on a FF body.

goactive's gear list:goactive's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +12 more
Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF
Telephoto prime lens • Nikon F (FX) • 1940
goactive's score
Average community score
Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon D500 Nikon D750
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow