They did all this???

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
OP MK Senior Member • Posts: 2,272
Re: They did all this???

RedFox88 wrote:

MK wrote:

As my normal practice every time I get a new body I always send it in to Nikon for a once over about two weeks before the warranty runs out. And since I live so close to Melville, they get it the next day and same on the return trip, making the process so much faster. In the past I used to work just down the block and actually watched them build the Nikon building. How convenient would that have been to be able to walk it over?

Anyway, I just got my D500 back. I asked them specifically to clean the sensor and upgrade the firmware since it was in their hands anyway. I could have done both myself. More specifically I asked them to look at the battery drain and focusing. Although I've read some stories here about battery drain, mine sometimes seem to drain more and sometimes not. I have not detected any pattern. Sometimes it sits for days and drains 1% and other times it loses a lot more. Maybe it's what lens I have mounted but like I said I did not do anything scientific to track it.

As for the focus, many of my shots seem a touch soft with some really sharp ones thrown in. This is across all my lenses, all Nikons expect for a Sigma. Granted none of my lenses are pro caliber but these very same lenses yield tremendously sharp images with my D300. I'm beginning to think maybe it's my technique or that it's a 20 MP sensor revealing all the flaws (from the D300's 12 MP).

Here's the work order that came back. I was a bit shocked they did all this. I might give a call to Nikon next week just to find out. My camera is now warming up inside the plastic bag to avoid condensation. It's snowing out.

SERVICE REPAIR RANK C

- RPL MEMORY COMPRESSION

- RPL FRONT BODY (What??? As in the entire front carbon fiber piece???)

- ADJ METER ACCURACY

- ADJ AUTO FOCUS OPERATION

- ADJ A-WHITE BALANCE

- ADJ SYNCHRONIZATION

- ADJ SHUTTER SPEEDS

- GENERAL CHECK & CLEAN

- CHECKED BATTERY DRAIN

- CKD COMMUNICATION

- CLN CCD

that one is amazing since you camera has no CCD to clean!🤔

- FIRMWARE UPGRADE

All of this was covered under warranty but I was a bit surprised with all the adjustments! And that replacing of the front body!!! Now I'm thinking were all those things adjusted because they were out of spec? I baby my camera and don't use it in a commercial/professional way. I understand maybe the auto focus as that was my "complaint" but meter, white balance and shutter speeds? Wow!!!!

I'm glad I didn't see "IMPACT DAMAGE".

LOL!!!!  When I bought into the Nikon system many many years ago, my friends told me they are the best and can perform magic!

I'm sure it was a left over from the days where there were no CMOS sensors. 

MK's gear list:MK's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD790 IS Nikon D300 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow