Gear doesn't matter, er yes it does........

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
antonoat Veteran Member • Posts: 3,752
Gear doesn't matter, er yes it does........

I've been a keen photographer for over thirty years, sometimes shooting pro, but honestly my most enjoyable photography has been when creating images for myself, or at least shooting images I like to shoot, when I like to shoot them!

Many people like to try and spread the myth that gear doesn't matter, it's the photographers skill that really counts, well from my experience I'm strongly inclined to disagree in certain circumstances.

I'd just like to say that I'm not suggesting that countless photographers haven't been able to produce wonderful images with limited gear because they certainly have, but there are times when having the right/specific gear can make your images stand out from the ordinary.

Just thought I'd share this striking example where having a lens with a long focal length and  a wide aperture can make an image pop. The folowing are two photographs of the same subject taken at widely differering apertures. I'm not suggesting for one minute this image is anything special but it does illustrate clearly the difference aperture can make to the final appearance of an image.

The first at f10 the second at f2.8, interesting to hear which is the preferred shot, I know which is my favourite!

This may seem fundamental and basic to many but there will be those who will appreciate a clear demonstration of how aperture can affect an image, I think.

Click on original to see the larger image.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow