1DXMKIII

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Rexgig0 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,798
Re: 1DXMKIII

Carbonman wrote:

tvstaff,

I've had a 1DX 1 for several years was planning on skipping the Mk2 because of the silly mixed media cards, but I had one of my cameras go down and needed a replacement, so to my chagrin, I've ended up with the Mk2. I've spent a couple of events dialing in the AF system, which is proving to be very finicky in its setup, unlike the original which was pretty much on task out of the box. My last event seemed to be better, but will still take some time. I'm in pretty hairy lighting conditions with fast sports (hockey), so it really pushes the camera's systems.

I'd love to play with a D5 and compare the AF systems. I'm particularly intrigued by the AF fine tune - that seems like a game changer and makes me wonder why Canon doesn't emulate it, especially given the dual-pixel contrast AF they have. Give a good software guy a couple weeks, a bag of chips and a ton of Mountain Dew, and get it done!

I'd also like to have a battery like the D5, rather than changing during an event - it's just one more thing to remember when shooting, especially since I regularly do 2500-3000 pictures at an event - that means two battery changes.

All that said, I'm very pleased with the overall color & tone of the images and they seem to do whatever I want in post - but nothing really different than the original. Overall if it weren't for a damaged camera, I would have not chosen to upgrade because I love the original and still have one, but I'm not going to chase money after an old body.

I also want to play with the video, and am interested in seeing quality differences between it and my Phantom 4 video.

Based on previous history, I'm guessing it will be 2019 before we see a Mk3. Released right before the Olympics and public release the spring/summer of 2020.

-- hide signature --

Carbonman
Flame alert: I wear Ztex underwear so if you flame me, not only don't I care, but you can't toast what matters.

Interesting. Your post is yet another confirmation that I should opt for a well-preserved pre-owned 1D X, rather than buy a 1D X II, if I decide that I can justify buying a 1D-series body. The 1DX II does have flicker detection capability, which I have found very useful, but I would probably use a 1D X almost exclusively for birds and wildlife, which are not normally found where flickering light sources are an issue. (I have 7D II and 5Ds R cameras, for shooting in flickering lighting.)

-- hide signature --

I wear a badge and pistol, and make evidentiary images at night, which incorporates elements of portrait, macro, still life, landscape, architecture, and PJ. I enjoy using both Canons and Nikons.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +43 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow