Need help choosing an ILC system.

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
bladerunner6 Contributing Member • Posts: 751
Re: Need help choosing an ILC system.

PannyMan17 wrote:

bladerunner6 wrote:

PannyMan17 wrote:

Long time lurker first time poster.

I currently own 2 cameras, a Panasonic FZ1000 and Canon G16. I've used these to learn photography over the last few years and I'm ready to jump into a interchangeable lens system. Ideally I'd like an APS-C mirrorless or DSLR. Please note that I'm not overly concerned with video, this camera is used for stills. I intend to keep my FZ1000 to use as a video camera. This is also for personal use only, I'm not a professional just a very enthusiastic amateur. My budget for gear is $3000, though I'm willing to invest more if needed.

This is what I'm looking for in terms of lenses. I want all my lenses (save for the astrophotography one) to be stabilized

Given that Pentax has In-Body Image Stabilization (IBIS), it will be the best fit for your lens requirements at this budget since in-lens stabilization tends to cost more, a lot more in some cases.

• Fast wide lens for Astrophotography

Rokinon-on 14mm f/2.8-$290

• Fast stabilized standard zoom (approximately 24 - 85)

Tamron 17-50 f/2.8-$300 (IBIS)

Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4-$499

Tamron 28-75 f/2.8-$480

This is a hard lens to find an exact match for.

• Fast stabilized standard prime (28 or 25mm)

A "standard lens for APS-C" is 35mm.

Pentax 35mm f/2.4-$122

Pentax 35mm f/2.0-$272

And for a bit more money, the Sigma 30mm f/1.4-$449

• Fast stabilized light telephoto prime (85mm or 100mm)

Here is something that exactly meets your requirements, a Pentax 100mm f/2.8 Macro-$447 . It is also really light at only 12oz! Some other lenses in this range weigh nearly two pounds.

• Sharp telephoto (something with 200-300 mm max reach) with excellent
  • stabilization

Pentax 200mm f/2.8-$800

• Optically excellent wide zoom, don't care if its fast

Sigma 10-20mm f4.0-5.6-$299. This lens is at a closeout, refurbished price because it has been discontinued in favor of a constant aperture f/3.5 lens.

This is what I'm looking for in terms of the camera body

• APS-C sensor, decent blend of size and low light capability
  • Fast autofocus with good subject tracking in both the viewfinder and in live view
  • A good degree of physical controls, I love the controls on my G16
  • Intervalometer
  • A touchscreen with touch to focus functionality similar to my smartphone
  • Ability to edit RAW files in OpticsPro 11 as I already own this

Doesn't have a touchscreen but matches most of the rest: Pentax K-70-$595.

Using the Tamron 17-50 and the Pentax 35mm f/2.4 I have a price of $2857, which meets your budget pretty well.

All the lens are stabilized because Pentax has IBIS and it works really well in the K-70. To quote from the review on this site"

"Looking at our charts above, we can see the pattern in sharpness fall off is shifted back a little over four stops for 50mm, and a little over 3 stops for 200mm, which is a very impressive performance."

No other system will be as light on your wallet or in physical weight for an APS-C system. For example, the only stabilized 35mm lens for other Canon & Nikon systems costs $599 and weighs 15.9 ounces. That compares to $122 and 4.4oz for the Pentax.

Other accessories

• Lightweight bounce flash with diffuser
  • Decent tripod for astro (I have an Amazon Basics right now)

There are so many options for tripods and I don't know if you want a cheap manual flash or something better so I didn't include that. l

My subjects in order of frequency

• Kids and family photography (lots of indoors and poor lighting)
  • Event photography (birthday parties, weddings, nights out, etc)
  • Nature photography (zoo, hiking in the woods, etc)
  • Landscape photography
  • Astrophotography
  • The occasional portrait
  • Building photography when I'm in a big city

I am not loyal to any brand and am willing to try any camera solution that works for me. I don't need to hit every point but I'd like to get close and the varied array of options out there are very difficult to wade through. Thanks for any help!

Thank you!!!!!!

This is what I'm looking for. I'm going to digest and research everything you've provided here, but it sounds like Pentax might be the closest fit to what I want. I'm particularly intrigued by the 100 f/2.8 lens and its low weight.

You are welcomed.

Here is some info on 100mm lens.

https://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Pentax/smc-D-FA-MACRO-100mm-F2.8-WR-mounted-on-Pentax-K-3__914

bladerunner6's gear list:bladerunner6's gear list
Pentax K-50 Pentax K-70 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow