A little beauty!

Started Dec 20, 2017 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Tord S Eriksson
Tord S Eriksson Forum Pro • Posts: 15,325
A little beauty!

I have had quite a few 70-300 lenses, through the years, and now just got two, the Nikon 1 70-300 CX, and the AF-P 70-300/4.5-63G VR.

The latest 70-300 I had were two FX ones, the classic Nikon G VR, and the fairly new Tamron VC version.

Neither of these two really top notch, but the Nikon was far better in the wide end, and the Tamron far better in the long end, their VC/VR about equal. And they were about the same size, while the Tamron was cheaper.

Now, a new triplet are in town: AF-P guys all three, and one VR and FX, one DX and VR and the last just a basic DX lens.

Being AF-P means their aperture is electronic, no mechanical input at all, and the focusing is totally electric as well. So no power, no focusing.

The Nikon 1 70-300 CX is very similar in most ways, slighter faster aperture, slightly faster focusing, slightly heavier and much more costly. But very similar in size, and use. No limiter on the AF-P DX lens, though, a pity, and no VR on/off switch (same for the CX version).

It is really abysmal weather here, so I've just taken some quick shots at home indoors, and through the door, plus some shots taken with the Kenko 300 Pro 1.4X TC.

All cropped, to various degrees, plus a shot of me (below), taken by the wife, just cropped sideways. No flash, or extra lighting, used. No PP, unless mentioned.

Yours truly needs a shave! Some softening applied (lowered the contrast).

Father Christmas in all his glory!

This had a mild sharpening applied, that's all!

Wet, wet, wet! And a bit of fog as well!

Half an apple for the birds!

Must say I am very impressed, although I took no long distance shots (just too murky).

Even with the TC on it was sharp as a needle, and had no problems focusing (surprise!).

This was probably the most difficult shot of them all, no problems as you can see.

Would I recommend this lens?! Oh, yes!

Does it feel plastic?! Oh, yes (even the lens mount is plastic)!

Is it small, light, and sharp?!

Does it work with TCs? Definitely with my Kenko!

Enough said? Definitely!

-- hide signature --

tordseriksson (at) gmail.....
Nikon V2, J5, D3300, D7500 & D600.

Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon D3300 +23 more
Nikon AF-P DX Nikkor 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G VR
Lens • Nikon F (DX)
Announced: Aug 17, 2016
Tord S Eriksson's score
Average community score
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow