Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Cliff Fujii
Cliff Fujii Veteran Member • Posts: 8,215
Re: Gitzo Quality Control?

Bobby2Shots wrote:

Cliff Fujii wrote:

Bobby2Shots wrote:

Sage wrote:

I purchased a new Gitzo tripod model GT4543LS. It's a very stable tripod and appears to be well made except I noticed that it is not level per it's spirit when placed on level flooring with the legs equally extended to a defined stop. My inexpensive Oben tripod actually displays a level spirit on level flooring, but not my much more expensive Gitzo. I confirmed the floor was level using a carpenter's level. As a result, I have requested an exchange for another GT4543LS. Of course, there's no guarantee that the replacement tripod will be perfect either. I'm disappointed that a tripod that costs almost $1,000 US dollars is not perfect from the factory. I'd appreciate other's thoughts and experiences with their Gitzo tripods from a quality of manufacture perspective. Of course, I can always make my camera level using the ball head, but I would still expect a perfect tripod for the money I spent. Thanks.

I've got four Gitzo tripods; a GT-2545T (Traveller),, and three Systematics,,, GT-3452XLS,,,GT-4552TS,,,and a GT-5532S. I just checked all my spirit levels, and for the most part, they're "close enough". Trying to get them dead-perfect would probably be more of a pain than anything else.

Now, I don't know how badly out yours is,,, but two of mine are almost dead centre,,,, and two are comfortably within the black circle on the face of the level.

Most of the time, I'll be shooting with a ball-head, so dead-level is not a concern. When shooting pano's or video, dead-level would be nice,,,, but "close" is good enough for me.

Why not use a ball head with a pan table above the ball (like an AS P0). That will allow you to level the tripod without fiddling with the legs.

Yeah, I like the concept of the AS P0, and a few others with the panning clamp,,, that said, I also REALLY like the GH-1382QD that came with my 2-series Traveller, and I doubt I'll use the Traveller for pano's anyway. I'd most likely use one of my Systematics, and I have the Gitzo levelling base, which fits all three of them.

Yeah, I got one with my Series 1 Traveler.  It's the first Gitzo brand head that I really liked.

That said, there's a few variables that come into play. For one thing, parallax. I have to stand on my tip-toes to use the spirit levels on my Systematics,,, so my eyeball is not directly over the level. My Traveller has a spirit-level added to the base of the column,,,, and I have to sight that level at a bit of an angle as well.

Another point,,, check that your tripods' feet,,, or rubber caps if applicable, are all tightly secured.

-- hide signature --

Veni, Vidi, Velcro;
I came,,,, I saw,,,, I stuck around.

-- hide signature --

Cliff

-- hide signature --

Veni, Vidi, Velcro;
I came,,,, I saw,,,, I stuck around.

-- hide signature --

Cliff

Cliff Fujii's gear list:Cliff Fujii's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Nikon Df Nikon D810 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 +52 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow