Upgrading my GX1- Is GX85 enough for indoor sports?

Started Dec 11, 2017 | Discussions thread
OP Roy Bell New Member • Posts: 21
Re: One poor sample

kolyy wrote:

Roy Bell wrote:

Well, this gym was horrendous. Lighting was terrible. As a result, I decided it best to try the 25MM because it's was much faster than my new 35-100 I just got. My 45 1.7 did not make it to the house in time, but I think that lens would had been a winner yesterday.

We were also sitting on the side lines vs in front this time. I kept it at 1600 iso. Best I could get shutter to was 160. As a result, the pictures came out OK, but not great. Here is one that I cropped and sharpened just a hair.

Daughter is the one mid air flipping on the left. I used center focus and panned with the burst shutter option.

One thing I am not sure on is the exif is showing F2.2. The lens is a 1.7 so I must had missed a step in locking the aperture. Would that had made a big difference? I am guessing yes? I'll get this dang thing figured out yet. I have to go through the other photos, but some of them where they are not moving quickly turned out pretty decent.

I am sorry, but to me the image is not very good, beyond small resolution use. It is oversharpened, but the underlining image seems blurry to me. I am ok with motion blur due to low shutter speed, but the picture is not sharp even in static parts of the image. The camera was quite probably not held sufficiently still while shooting. Was IBIS on? Are you sure you hold the camera well (left hand under the lens supporting the weight, eye to the EVF stabilizing it, right hand gently on the grip and shutter}?

For starters, I was in the bleachers and holding the camera pretty high so I didn't get the guys head in front of me in the entire frame since he decided to sit up once the routine started. Second, my goal was to get the kid flipping. As previously stated, I was panning the shot, so NATURALLY the rest of the girls would be a little blurry because the camera was not static.

Here is a shot of them all jumping so they are all moving. Aperature defaulted to 1.7 on this shot. As a result, shutter was bumped up to 250. There is a little motion blur, but the picture overall is a bit sharper than the one of her flipping.

It is also a 25 mm cropped. I wasn't expecting a whole lot. You can't stand on the floor during routine so I was a little limited in position.  I have other pictures that came out pretty good, but I don't need to post a whole pile of pictures of other peoples kids on a public forum without their conscent.  My main focus with this post was getting a good motion shot.  The 42.5 1.7 came in yesterday.  That should bring her in a little closer to and help the situation.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow