Higher ISO Birding with E-M1 mk ii & 100% crops

Started 10 months ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
vass
vass Senior Member • Posts: 1,802
Higher ISO Birding with E-M1 mk ii & 100% crops

Hi all

I hear a lot of complaining on this forum about poor high ISO performance and sometimes wonder what all the fuss is about

In regards to high ISO I never found it to be much of a problem at all for bird photography with m43. I generally use ISO 3200 as my highest setting for high quality images but would not hesitate to use ISO 6400 or above if needed for web use only.

All images are just jpegs out of the camera with some quick PS processing. I have RAWS of all but don't find i need them 99 out of 100 at the most. The non 100% crop images have been cropped themselves then sized for web use. They are between 3200 and 4800 pixels on the long side in full size after being cropped.

Anyway enjoy the images!

ISO 1600

Spotted Pardalote female

100% crop

Spotted Pardalote male

100% crop

Another of the above male bird

100% crop

ISO 2000

The male at ISO 2000

100% crop

ISO 3200

Red-rumped Parrot (young male)

100% crop

Superb Fairy-wren (male)

100% crop, look at that sheen

Bassian Thrush

100% crop

Grey Fantail

100% crop

Eastern Whipbird. A tough customer to see but often heard from the cracking of a whip sound it makes. They love heavy cover and are super shy and alert

100% crop

regards,

Vas

-- hide signature --
 vass's gear list:vass's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +3 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow