Using Lightroom between computers with external drive

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Bogibbes Forum Member • Posts: 87
Re: Using Lightroom between computers with external drive

Sailor Blue wrote:

First, does the external hard drive show up when you look for it in LR Library>Folders? If you have never used the external hard drive with your desktop copy of LR it won't show up.

If not copy any disposable image from your internal hard drive over to the external hard drive. Next Import this image and the drive will now show up in LR.

You can delete the disposable image from both LR and the external HD once LR starts recognizing the drive.

Now use the File>Import from Another Catalog command to combine the library on the external hard drive with the Master Catalog inside your desktop computer.

Adobe - Merging Individual Lightroom Catalogs into a “Master” Catalog « Julieanne Kost's Blog

If you move the images to an internal hard drive do it after you combine the catalogs and do it in the LR Library>Folders area - do NOT do it using the OS file explorer. This way LR won't lose track of where the images are stored.

If you mess up and move the images using the OS after combining the catalogs then you will have to tell LR where to find the folder while in the LR Library module.

Adobe - Re-linking Files and Folders in Lightroom « Julieanne Kost's Blog

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Pattaya, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Wow! That is sounds like exactly what I needed, thank you so much! However, the Catalog folder does appear to have been left behind on the other computer. I'll have to check with her later, see if she can locate it, and depending on size, possibly email it to me.

Bogibbes's gear list:Bogibbes's gear list
Panasonic LX10 Fujifilm X-T2 Rokinon 85mm F1.4 Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow