12/18: Wildlife Mixup: Reptiles, Bugs, Birds, BIFs, Rabbit

Started 8 months ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
zackiedawg
zackiedawg Forum Pro • Posts: 29,783
12/18: Wildlife Mixup: Reptiles, Bugs, Birds, BIFs, Rabbit

To keep the wildlife/bird posts coming and stay not-too-far behind, rather than almost all white BIFs like the last thread, this is a mix of stuff - birds, reptiles, bugs, rabbits, BIFs and non-BIFs.

As always, all shots taken around Green Cay Wetlands and Wakodahatchee Wetlands, and with the A6300 and FE100-400mm lens combo, some with FE1.4x TC attached as noted in the descriptions.  And as always, all shots posted at 1400 pixels on the long side if you click the originals:

This may give some idea what some prey may see as their last image in their lives - the intense zeroed-in stare of a swooping osprey headed right for them

I don't get to shoot rabbits as often as birds, so when one pops out of the forest to graze, even in the shade, I tend to take a shot of them

The lovely little eastern phoebe, sitting quietly on a pine branch in a spot of sunlight

Another osprey, circling around and staring down at the water for a possible strike at a fish

A basilisk lizard, resting on a palm frond, and staring up at me in case I present a threat

Closeup of a lovely monarch butterfly

Hiding in plain sight - this blue-headed vireo was in the shade with a bright backlight coming through the canopy, so I think he felt somewhat hidden, which was good for me

These are hard to photograph little birds - common yellowthroats - as they like to stay low down by the water and constantly hop around from reed to reed.  This was a younger one, not quite with his full black bandit mask around the eyes

Unfortunately iguanas can be incredibly long animals - with their huge long tail - so capturing one requires pulling WAY back to get most of the tail in the shot

Or you can go the other direction, and shoot them closeup in portrait mode, to capture all the cool details of spikes, bumps, dots, ridges, scales, etc

Up close with a paper wasp nest, being busily built by the wasps.  These guys were at it for quite a while - this is the second time I shot them and both times they were too busy building to bother with me

The frantic ambush attack fishing method of the tricolor heron is so different to most herons and egrets, who usually sit patiently staring at the water waiting to strike - the tricolor jumps from the bank, splashing into the water, squawking noisily the whole time...but it seems to work for them!

Even with the 1.4x TC attached, this flock of birds was quite distant - several hundred yards away - but I could tell from their calls that they were monk parakeets - and I always love to see and shoot these colorful tropical birds in Florida, where they're not supposed to be, but are thriving as an invasive species

A glossy ibis flying in my direction - taken with the 1.4x TC

A common sight in the wetlands this time of year - what we often refer to as a 'fish on a stick' - you see a good sized fish spiked on the end of a stick moving above the water - the anhinga is an excellent fisherman and once he spears his catch, he will pop it above the water and swim for shore where he can remove it from his bill and eat (FE1.4x TC)

Comments, questions, and critique welcomed as always.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +22 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Sony a6300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow