Safari Lens. Buy 100-400ii or stick with Sigma 150-600 c?

Started 10 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
CombatClaret
CombatClaret New Member • Posts: 13
Safari Lens. Buy 100-400ii or stick with Sigma 150-600 c?

Looking for some lens advise, having a few days on Safari in South Africa next year and planning what to take in terms of glass. Right now my planned 'on the jeep' set up based on what I own will be:
5d mkIV + Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary
7d mkII + Tamron 24-70 f2.8

I'm happy with the Sigma, for the price it's a brilliant, it can be a bit hit and miss at times but that could very much be down to me. I've only had time to use it twice properly on the 5d which is a new addition but it seemed to improve the results when I was out birding.

Is there any benefit though in looking at the Canon 100-400 ii as my main lens and leaving the Sigma at home (couldn't take both due to weight). Loosing some focal length but gaining some sharpness, light, AF performance and portability. I'm going to a private reserve so can hopefully get closer than I would in the Kruger national park. Of course If desperate for reach I could put the 100-400 on the 7d though I want to minimise lens changes to keep dust out.

Already read through this comparison thread.

https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=33281.75

Thanks in advance for the help!

CombatClaret's gear list:CombatClaret's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +2 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS 7D Mark II Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow