Lighting setup for antique rifles

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Wombat78 New Member • Posts: 2
Lighting setup for antique rifles

I'm planning to photograph a friend's collection of antique rifles. My plan is to hang the objects horizontally in front of a white backdrop, inspired by this setup:

(source: www.svartkrutt.net )

I guess what I want to do is similar to a portrait setup, but it's challenging to get the lighting right on a 2-yard-long metal and wood object. Without too much post-production I want the background to be completely white so I have to overexpose it with one or more flashes.

What lighting do you recommend for best possible result? And how should I position the light sources? Two flashes at a 45-degree angle towards the object and two against the background? Is it necessary to use lights above the object? What about reflectors?

I have two Elinchrom D-Lite 4 it studio flashes with two 65 × 65 cm (13,8 × 13,8") softboxes, but are willing to invest in more light sources.

What I want to accomplish is something like this (but with a white background):

(source: hermann-historica.de )

Wombat78's gear list:Wombat78's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow