Focus and recompose?

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
All forumsForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat
Ken Croft Senior Member • Posts: 1,650
Focus and recompose?

For more than 50 years I have used focus-and-recompose. I have recently been looking into back button focus, a fact which may at this point seem irrelevant. More on that later.

When you focus on an off-centre object you are actually focussing not on the individual object, but on the plane of focus that the object lives in. When you then swing the camera to recompose the frame, the object previously focussed upon, will or at least may, lie in a different plane of focus and will therefore not be in critical focus after recomposing. I am correct in this thinking? Or is the plane of focus spherical, in which case the object remains in the plane of focus after recomposing? I think not.

Now cameras have moved on and we have a host of focus points [focus planes actually] that we can use around the frame. So if we frame the image correctly so we have no need to recompose, and we shift the focus point to the object that we need to be in focus,  the object then remains in the focus plane at the time of shooting. Surely this must be more accurate than focus-and-recompose?

Which brings me back to back button focus. I believe that one advantage of BBF is that it negates the need to recompose after each shot as long as the object has not moved. Isn't this a relic of the past? Doesn't shifting the focus point also do that and doesn't it also provide more accurate focus for the reasoning already suggested?

Or am I just suffering from old age, insanity, and too much drin thinking?

Happy Christmas

Ken C

ANSWER:
Flat
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow