D7200 cold weather problems

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
Flat view
Terry N Brown New Member • Posts: 15
D7200 cold weather problems

Hi, just got a new D7200 kit. Liking it by the camera is crashing when I'm using it outdoors slightly below freezing, more detailed description below.

My problem is that it only crashes in the cold, so sending it for servicing seems to be unlikely to help. But I think it's too sensitive to cold - I know the operating range is 0-40 C, but I think it should work well enough at -4 to at least -10, I routinely used my old D70 in that range and think it only failed once, probably at around -15, and I think that was mechanical.

- what have other's found with 7200s in 0 to -10 C?

- should I try a new battery (it's new kit, so the battery's new, but who knows)?

- or a battery grip?

- other suggestions?

After trouble today shooting at the zoo I brought it home, seemed fine inside, left it in the porch for a while, immediately had trouble again, brought it inside again, trouble gone again, so I'm quite sure it's temperature related. Temp.s today around -4 C.

It's not once every 30 minutes or something maybe manageable like that, it's more like every few minutes, not really usable.

It can crash either during shooting or review. During shooting it displays 'Err', and sometimes pressing the shutter once more and the turning it off will help, for a short while. During review there are vertical scrambled pixels across the display and only removing the battery will reset it, turning it off does nothing. Same symptoms as some reported here: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3852978

Problem seen with two different SD cards (incl. after in-camera format), fully charged battery, and two lenses (18-55 and 70-300 kit lenses).  Firmware C1.02 L2.016.

Many thanks for any pointers, info.

This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D7200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow