A problem with using zoom while recording video on M43 cameras

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Brisn5757 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,190
Re: A problem with using zoom while recording video on M43 cameras

Cagey75 wrote:

This will happen on any camera with a variable aperture zoom, other settings can affect exposure changes too, such as auto-ISO, or using one of the program modes for video. You want to take full control, shoot in M mode, manually set the ISO, aperture and WB so nothing adjusts automatically. Yes, you can have smooth exposure through zoom in video, just set the aperture to the widest on the longer end before recording.

But it only happens on some lens not all lens I'm told.

The problem I have with this is in panning the camera from a shaded area to a brighter area. I often use zoom and panning together. An example is in a parade where I'm video recording a float passing by me. I zoom out to capture move of the float.

There use to be a problem of the noise from the zoom motor being recorded on the videos sound track but I think they overcame that problem for most cameras.

Brian

Brisn5757's gear list:Brisn5757's gear list
Olympus SP-570 UZ Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX70 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX200V Sony RX100 IV Canon EOS 300D +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow