Any of you bored with the Ultrawide look in photographs or movies?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
aruk5 Regular Member • Posts: 149
Any of you bored with the Ultrawide look in photographs or movies?

In the days of film slrs 28mm or 24mm was considered wide enough to create images which didnt look highly distorted. As dslrs came out from the early 2000s lens manufacturers started to churn out even wider lenses with focal lengths of 20mm, 16mm, 12mm and today you have lenses like the 11-24mm L from canon which I think is the widest lens available for full frame [when shot at 11mm]. Until a few years ago it was fun shooting with these lenses which gave a certain look and it felt good then, but for quite sometime now I am getting bored of looking at images shot using ultrawide. To be more specific I am referring to landscapes or groups of people [such as in movies] where the corners look so distorted and more importantly take up a majority of the frame while the centre looks tiny and occupies a less part of the frame. Even worse is when in some movies where they shoot a scene where there are a group of people, those standing in corners look so fat and bloated and those in centre look thin. I think the most overkill of ultrawide imagery  in recent memory was in the Revenant [for which Emmanuel Lubezki won the oscar in 2016]. Those who recollect watching that movie must have noticed the highly distorted visuals where the dp tried to capture as much imagery to fit in the 65mm frame. As I said the ultrawide visuals looked cool but I am beginning to feel  bored with it. I have also shot  many ultrawide images but have cut down a lot recently as I am getting fed up with distorted imagery and slowing going back to regular wide angles. I too want to capture as much visuals [within a single frame] but would prefer it didnt have that distorted look. I hope camera manufacturers come out with  a new 2.35:1aspect ratior sensors based cameras and suitable lenses [or something similar] for the mainstream market. The current crop of dslrs/mirrorless compacts have 3:2 aspect ratio sensors which limits the fov when it comes to wide angled lenses and a 2.35:1 with appropriate lenses might let one shoot wider images with less distortion.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tex
tko
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow