Leica Q AF issues

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
terryreid
terryreid Senior Member • Posts: 1,571
Leica Q AF issues

Unless someone has a concrete idea on what I may be doing wrong I am returning my 29 day old leica Q for poor AF performance. Less than half of my 700 images over the last month are not in focus.

I like the camera and I have tried every focus mode, different modes, different apertures, the Macro ring is not selected.

A few were my fault like when the AF ring slips off the setting or when you have touch focus on the wrong part of the frame but over half when done correctly or at least I think correctly are not any good due to not being in focus.

It could be something I am doing wrong or an issue with the camera but I cannot afford to have a camera I cannot trust to get tack sharp images. Or one that I have to triple check everytihng every time I take a picture. One of the things that sold me on the Q was it's simplicity, you are supposed to be able to pick it up, it turns on quickly and AF is supposed to be so great. I have not experienced that.

Very disappointed too because I really wanted to like this camera and there are several things I do like about it very much but out of focus images doesn't work for me.

With the ten Sony bodies and cameras I have had and now my a7rIII and a9 this is siimply not an issue and never has been.

I guess I will see if they make the RX1R III larger and fix a bunch of things or most likley get a A6700 first quarter. I am not wild about a APS-C sensor but I guess they are making it a higher resolution and other nicities it has a flash which can come in handy and is actually a half an inch narrower and 1/3" less in height and I can use my ten G Master and Zeiss lenses plus get the crop factor 1x5. A properly focused image at any resolution is better than a full frame image that is not a keeper.

I could pick up my a6500 and I never had an issue with AF. If even ten percent of the photos were not tack sharp I would not keep it but in my case it is more like 60-70%

-- hide signature --

Please do not put words in my mouth. Nothing can be further from the truth.

terryreid's gear list:terryreid's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony a9 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 50mm F1.4 ZA +16 more
Sony a6500 Sony a9 Sony RX1R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow