Looking at an Old LX3 for A Cheap "Carry Everywhere"

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
larrytusaz Senior Member • Posts: 2,512
Looking at an Old LX3 for A Cheap "Carry Everywhere"

I have a Nikon D3300 which I got last August after my Sony A6000 fell in the river while on vacation. I like it, and as SLRs go it's small and its image quality is just fantastic. However, I still long for a "carry everywhere" type, which these days would typically be handled by the likes of a Sony RX100, but I can't quite swing that much YET. (Come tax refund time, I probably could, and will be looking at something like a Sony RX100 3 with its EVF, or a Canon G7x II.)

In the meantime I spotted a Panasonic LX3 on the cheap, as in for $60. I'm considering it as a "stand-in" until I get something like a Sony RX100 (or Panasonic LX100, Canon G7x II etc). Also even after getting such I think I'd still keep the LX3 around for absolutely "everyday" occasions (as in even when going to work or cycling etc) because I've had trouble with losing or damaging carry-everywhere cameras. Last year the Sony A6000 was not only my "portable" model but my "best" model and I had a Lowepro case which allowed me to carry it on my hip as I walked.

However despite taking great care to not have anything go wrong, it STILL fell in the river, we're talking a good $450-500 worth of camera. On top of that I went through a rough streak 3 years ago where I lost a Sony NEX-3n kit and two Nikon J1 kits, and last year besides the A6000 accident I ALSO left a different NEX-3n kit on the roof of my car and it flew off. That's basically 5 cameras in 3 years, with the A6000 incident being by far the worst to occur.

So, in other words, I'm kind of adverse to having too expensive of a "portable" camera, and this seems like something I could use for true "everyday" where I'd only be risking $60 worth of camera yet it's a camera that one time was highly regarded as an enthusiasts type, even for landscapes, which is something I'd use it for quite a bit. I've checked out some landscapes and at least at ISO 80-200 (maybe 400?) I was really impressed by what it could do. As a bonus it would be even smaller than a Sony NEX-3n which was always too "lumpy" for true "always with you" usage.

I know it wouldn't be as good as the D3300 but for landscapes without a HUGE amount of dynamic range this Dpreview thread from 3 years ago seems to indicate it could do a good job at least with 11x14 or in a pinch 16x20 prints. (I did make good 16x20 enlargements from a 12mp Olympus E-PL1 when I had one of those before, and I know the D3300 could handle even more dynamic range, shoot at higher ISOs and enlarge to 24x36 easily.)

Thoughts? Also, what's the feasibility with attaching a CPL polarizer filter to it?

larrytusaz's gear list:larrytusaz's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D3300 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow