Micro Four Thirds user thinking about moving to full frame?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Flat view
Robodelfy Regular Member • Posts: 123
Micro Four Thirds user thinking about moving to full frame?

I posted a similar thread in the Micro Four Thirds forum, and a day later I could no longer post as the thread was full with two people arguing about something ridiculous. Please can this thread not go that way too

I have used Panasonic Micro Four Thirds cameras for years, currently on the G85 with 12-35 2.8, 20mm 1.7 and Mitakon 25mm 0.95 lenses. I really like the features, 4k, timelapses in camera, panoramas, touch screen etc. I just like the feel the camera and in good light the video looks good, but it does look a bit 'videoy' if that makes sense!

I am getting more into photography now, and want a camera that can do equal parts video and photo to a high quality. I am often underwhelmed by the photos out the MFT cameras. I find it hard to get the DOF control that seems it would be easy on a FF.  Yes some people take great photos on MFT cameras and I have, but honestly when I played with someones 5D with 50mm lens on auto, it just looked good straight away.

These are my issues with my current setup :

- Photo quality isnt quite there

- Shallow DOF much harder to achieve

- Useless in low light for video and photos

- Would love 120fps 1080 for slomo video

I've been obsessively researching for weeks and have reached a bit of a dead end. Most of the footage and photos I see online that strike me turn out to be Canon FF cameras. Some sony, but mostly Canon. So it seems my main Canon FF options are :

5d mk iv

6D mk ii

1dx mkii

Then there is also the sony A7rii and A7sii. But I havent been as impressed with the look of the photos, and no touch screen, bad autofocus and terrible ergonomics puts me off.

I tried the sony A7rii in a shop and it just felt wrong, everything was hard to get too and in the wrong place. And the main advantage that its smaller seemed redundant when I held the 5d in one hand and sony in the other, both with 24-70mm native lenses. They felt basically the same size, the sony felt a bit heavier even! But the balance was way off on the Sony.

Of course the 1dx mkii seems to have everything I want, but its huge ands expensive. I could probably afford it in a few months though.

Can you Canon guys give any advice on the cameras I've listed? I know Canon are missing so many basic video features, which is a huge shame, but the most important thing is image quality and feel. Or should I give sony more of a chance?

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Panasonic G85
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow