Sony 24-105 f/4 OSS: best zoom lens I've owned!

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
62strat
62strat Regular Member • Posts: 435
Sony 24-105 f/4 OSS: best zoom lens I've owned!

Just picked up this bad boy today for my A7.  I've owned so many zoom lenses throughout the years, and this one by far takes the cake for the best.  It is super sharp across all focal lengths and even wide open!  It's a joy to use.  I can tell that it is made with top quality glass and coatings, because even in challenging (snowy) conditions, it calculates exposure and white balance incredibly well.

Out of over 100 test shots, I had to start "turning down" potential keepers.  There were so many shots that were perfectly focused, it hardly missed focus!  It handled everything I threw at it without complaining.  Focus was fast, too!

The zoom ring is a tad stiff but it will loosen up in time.  Plus, no lens creep!  I can carry it lens-down with my Peak Design slide strap and the lens barrel doesn't creep down via gravity.

It's a joy to use, significantly more comfortable and easy to use than one of my big pro Nikon DSLRs with my heavy glass.

now I have the original A7 so I don't have IBIS, but the lens' OSS I swear is better than any Nikon stabilization!  I can comfortably shoot @ 105mm with a shutter speed of 1/60th or slower without blurry pictures!

Love this lens, I can shoot all day with it.  Can't wait to take it in the field with me!  I'd have no problem shooting it on press events.  Wouldn't hesitate at all.  Compliments my Nikon D500 w/ 70-200 well, since on a crop sensor DLSR, 70mm = 105mm, which is where this Sony lens leaves off.  I won't have any focal length gaps in coverage.

Here are some of my test shots from around my farm.

62strat's gear list:62strat's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +2 more
Nikon D500 Sony Alpha a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow