From the S to the V

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
torontosphere
torontosphere Junior Member • Posts: 46
From the S to the V

Without a doubt the Theta S has been one of my very favourite and most frequently used cameras of the past year. But after thirteen months and thirty-five-hundred photos, wear and tear finally took enough of a toll that I've bought the Theta V. This isn't a review of the V, I haven't had it long enough, but a 'first impressions' of the change. Please note that I only do still photography, so video is irrelevant to me.

Most important improvement: the V is much easier to live with. Really, that's all I ask from a camera. The wifi connection is much faster and more robust, letting me trigger the shutter from farther away and see the results more quickly. The few times I've gone back to the S this has really stood out as a pain point.

Secondary improvement: the HDR mode is now useful,. On the S muti-shot artifacts made the HDR mode challenging, while it also exacerbated the already-bad purple fringing around anything high-contrast. The V is much better, creating more flexible files.

Image quality changes: the files are the same pixel size, but have improved. The purple fringing with the S was bad enough that I wouldn't post unedited files, but the V is better enough to make a real difference. Colours remain good, while noise is a bit better with corresponding improvements in textures and details. But essentially the Theta S image quality was bad, but it didn't matter, and the Theta V image quality is a bit better, but it still doesn't matter.

App improvements: none. The biggest image quality problem with the Theta is that the remapping / projection changes can only be done on a phone or tablet with a reduced file size. I can do some basic work with Affinity Photo, but I haven't yet found anything with the flexibility and immediacy of the iOS Theta+ app.

Conclusion: while it lacks 'Headline Grabbing Changes" the V is a decent upgrade from the S, and worthwhile for anyone who has been able to use the S model enough to wear it out or otherwise break it.

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Ricoh Theta S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow