High Resolution images

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MichaelInGC Contributing Member • Posts: 544
High Resolution images

I am a bit puzzled by the high res raw image files produced by my E-M1 Mk II. Not in general terms. I know that the system produces 2 raw images from a series of 8 individual photos taken 1/2 pixel apart (I think those figures are correct) and puts them together into 2 separate raw images, one 80MP and the other a 20MP, one marked ORF and the other ORI.  I am puzzled about the 20MP ORI image, not the 80MP ORF.

My first thought was that the camera actually produced one standard raw and one high res raw since they are 20MP and 80MP each and that seemed logical. I assumed that the 20MP image was marked ORI instead of ORF because the camera wanted to keep the image numbers the same and so had to use different suffixes. After all, the standard raw is 20MP, so why would it not be a standard raw image?

However when I tried to process that image with some of my photo editing software I found out that it was not a standard image. I first renamed the XXX.ORI file as XXXA.ORF and then tried to load it into one of my workflow tools, and found it could not be processed. I checked with the Mac Photos app, which uses some standard Apple raw decoder, and found it could not handle the renamed ORI file either, so it is not a standard raw image.

Once I realized that I was even more puzzled. I can see how the camera can put together 8 separate images into a high res photo, but how and why would it put together 8 separate images into a standard 20MP image? Would it down-res the 80MP image? Would it take one of the 8 photos and use it as the basis for the image? Or is it doing something else? What is the ORI file? And how is it created? And why does some of my editing software not handle it properly?

Does anyone know?

MichaelInGC's gear list:MichaelInGC's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ +3 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow