BIF challenge on a dark rainy day (A6300, Sigma 70-200 f/2.8)

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
m2onen Forum Member • Posts: 58
BIF challenge on a dark rainy day (A6300, Sigma 70-200 f/2.8)

Today I decided to see how A6300 with LA-EA3 and Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 (with help of Lightroom) would perform in quite a challenging task:

to shoot bird-in-flight shots on this rainy, very dull and gray day, with only 30 minutes before the sun sets. Very limited light available. Some rain. Conditions in which I definitely would NOT go out to shoot BIF usually, but today I went out to do this test.

Shooting wide open at f/2.8 with the Sigma 70-200, trying to keep shutter at 1/1000s max to make it possible to shoot these fast thrushes and waxwings, ISO still had to be up to 2500-6400, but the combo did quite well and of course Lightroom NR helps with the noise.

These are cropped (some quite heavily) and PP and NR in Lightroom:

I was quite happy with these results. Obviously not tack sharp and I had to crop a bit too much as 200mm was not enough to get close to these birds, but overall I was positively surprised. With my usual telezooms, like the 70-400 G or 55-210 I could have not shot these photos. With apertures like f/5.6 or f/6.3, the ISO in these shots would likely had been too high, so Sigma's f/2.8 was a great asset in these conditions.

What do you think?

m2onen's gear list:m2onen's gear list
NEX-5T Sony a6300 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM +5 more
Sony a6300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow