About 1 month with the G7X mk2

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Flat view
Yannis1976 Senior Member • Posts: 2,521
About 1 month with the G7X mk2

After having bought a used Canon G7X mk2 a month ago I think its  time to write a small review about it. I will compare it with my previously owned Canon G7X and Panasonic LX10 but also my small GM1 m43 kit.

1) Build quality is usual Canon, better than Panasonic LX10

2) User interface is great, a bit more complicated than the G7X due to the new features. Equal to LX10 and GM1, but Panorama mode is still missing which a big minus for me.

3) Handling/Ergonomics are great, better than the LX10, a bit better also than the GM1 due to the tilt screen.

4) Lens sharpness/IQ is definitely worse than LX10, especially in the corners at wide end. However, the worse IQ doesn't distract you from creating nice images and at 100mm/2.8 it does have a better subject separation than the LX10. Here are two portraits:

Processed from RAW in LR

SOOC, skin rendition and color are very good, however image is not very sharp (my fault)

5) Macro mode finally works! Its not close as with the LX10, but at least it works whereas in the first G7X it was a joke!

Processed from RAM in DXO

Processed from RAM in LR (macro AF)

Processed from RAW in LR (macro AF)

6) Manual mode also works much better than the 1st G7X with the ring being really useful now

I used the manual mode to focus on the candle

7) Sensor performance is good, equal to G7X and LX10. As said in this forum in the past, you can go up to ISO 2000 and still have very good IQ. Dynamic range is also good. However both high ISO and DR are definitely worse than the m43 sensor of my GM1.

Processed from RAW in LR

8) In camera RAW conversion is good to have and can work for fast process, but its a bit less flexible than that in LX10

9) WiFi again works much better than the 1st G7X, equal to Panasonic.

Overall I am very happy with the camera and the only drawbacks I could find are the soft lens and the lack of panorama. Vs the LX10, I would say its equal because each camera excels in different aspects and vs the GM1 I would say again it depends what you need more. So GM1 can have from equal to much better IQ depending on the lens, but lacks the tilt screen which for me is very useful in such small cameras.

Yannis1976's gear list:Yannis1976's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX5 Canon G7 X II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +7 more
Canon PowerShot G7 X Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic LX10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow