7d MK2 to 5d MK4

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Flat view
jae_buckley New Member • Posts: 15
7d MK2 to 5d MK4

Hello guys!

I have owned a 7d MK2 for two years now. It was mainly used for Sports but I haven't recently started to branch out into other forms of photography like Travel, Landscape (and Astro) and Portraits, I have also been asked to shoot a few weddings for my friends in 2019.

Currently use:

Canon 7D MK2
Canon EFS 17-55mm f/2.8
Canon EFS 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS

I love my 7d but I have been wanting to upgrade to FF for a while now. Had my eyes set on the Sony A7rIII but ultimately decided that the Sony eco system is just too expensive for me.

Panamoz are currently selling the 5D IV for £2090 with a 3 year warranty. I know this is more than likely a grey import but it doesn't really bother me.

I obviously know that the IQ, DR and High ISO performance is going to be much better than my 7d, but how do the AF capabilities compare? Particularly for Sports. Can't seem to find much on the web.

I'm think of buying the following lenses (maybe not all at once):

Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II (Travel & Weddings)
Canon EFS 70-200mm f/2.8 (Sports & Weddings)
A fast aperture prime with quick AF (Sports & Portraits)
A fast aperture wide angle lens (Landscape & Astro)

I've listed them in terms of importance.  I've done quite a bit of research, read reviews, looked on YouTube etc.  Wanted to get a second opinion before I pull the trigger... Anything else you guys would recommend? Any better or more suitable lenses?

I will be keeping my 7d as a back up/second camera for Weddings but will be selling my EFS lenses to fund the upgrade.

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Sony Alpha a7 Sony Alpha a7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow