White Balance in Editing Room

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
The Ryantist Contributing Member • Posts: 785
White Balance in Editing Room

I normally edit/retouch photos in my bedroom which has warm lighting with a color temperature of roughly 3500K. To compensate for this I have adjusted the RGB output on my (inexpensive) monitor to a few reference prints so that they look similar on the screen (156, 128, 96) where 128 were the default values.

But the trouble is that now the WB is dependent on brightness. My white and light grays look good, but dark grays look warm, and maroon looks too red etc. I presume the ideal scenario might be to have a separate gamma for each channel so my blues don't drop off too fast, etc.

So what is my best option? I don't need perfect color, but I'd like to get my darker grays looking more neutral, and also I think it would make skin tones easier. Fortunately I have 2 lights in my bedroom, so should I put D65 bulbs in one light and then just use that light for photo editing? Will that put the monitor back in it's "comfort zone" and the colors will be more uniform across the range? And will using a D65 light at night mess me up physiologically? (not being sarcastic here) Or is there a better monitor that will be able to perform better in my current warm light environment?

edited to add: I'd prefer not to buy a new monitor at the moment as I'm just a hobbyist. But it's not out of the question if that's the only viable solution.

Thanks!

The Ryantist's gear list:The Ryantist's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a6300 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +4 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow