Sony/Zeiss 24mm 1.8, softness in edges?!

Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
cactusf3ar
cactusf3ar Junior Member • Posts: 25
Sony/Zeiss 24mm 1.8, softness in edges?!

Hi all, first post here!

I have been a Canon shooter for ages, but during Black Friday sales I finally jumped ship and got an a6500 paired with a used Sony/Zeiss 24mm 1.8. This was my dream combo for a long time, and I was hoping this lens could be a great all-in-one performer (street, portrait, light macro, landscape) while I travel.

I was extremely impressed with this lens in all categories, EXCEPT for sharpness... the center of the frame is sharper than any APS-C lens I've ever used, but the edges of the frame (not just corners - anything outside center of frame) are SOFT!! No matter what aperture I stop down to, the edges never sharpen up.

In fact, I took a few test shots with my 16-50 kit lens and the Zeiss, and while center sharpness was better on the Zeiss, the edge sharpness even at f/4.5 (max aperture on kit lens @24mm) was superior on the kit lens! Test shots are in my gallery, linked below. Long story short, the Zeiss lens was extremely soft in the corners no matter what I did, and the kit lens beat it all apertures.

Test shot 1 : Outdoors, shot at f/8.

Shot 1 Left Edge crop : Zeiss on the left, kit lens @24mm on the right.

Test shot 2 : Indoors, shot at f/4.5.

Shot 2 upper right crop : Zeiss on the left, kit on the right.

If this Zeiss lens can't be used for landscapes, then it isn't what I hoped for and will not make a good travel lens for me. The lens is not decentered, I already tested it for that. Has anyone else experienced something similar with Sony/Zeiss 24mm 1.8? Do I have a bad copy? By all accounts, this is supposed to be the BEST lens on Sony E mount, so I am quite disappointed...

Prior to acquiring the Sony a6500, I was using a Canon 70D + EF-S 24mm pancake lens, which I liked very much for stills and is very sharp in the edges. The reason to move to Sony was mainly for video...

cactusf3ar's gear list:cactusf3ar's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 70D Sony a6500 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow