Random Variety with the Sigma 16mm F1.4 at Disney World

Started 11 months ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
zackiedawg
zackiedawg Forum Pro • Posts: 30,244
Random Variety with the Sigma 16mm F1.4 at Disney World

Finally gotten through my photos from my trip to Disney World last week...and my first chance to shoot the Sigma 16mm F1.4. Quite the ordeal getting this lens in time for the trip!  It was supposed to ship Nov 22, then the shipments were delayed and it was changed to December 1...When I contacted B&H to change the shipping method to 2-day to make sure I got it in time, they said mine was expected to ship Dec 7 - which made no sense since I pre-ordered at midnight and had to be in the first batch.  I had almost given up, but then on Friday morning I got notice it was preparing to ship...so I called B&H back to confirm 2-day.  NO problem - they accommodated and all was well.  Until Monday AM, when I checked the UPS tracking and saw that it sat in the warehouse from Friday until Monday morning and was now expected to deliver on Dec 6.  3 days, not 2, due to the wasted days in the warehouse...and the day I was leaving.  So I called UPS and got it changed to pickup from UPS location in Deerfield Beach about 10 miles away, since I was leaving in the morning and could pick it up before I left for Disney. Then I got notice at 6am it had landed in Deerfield and could be picked up. Drove down with my car packed and ready for the trip and stood in line, then when they went to find it, they said it was at another location. *huh?* Fortunately they didn't mean far - they have an 'overflow' warehouse about 2 miles down the road on Hillsboro, so they promised if I went there, it would be there. Drove to location two, and waited 15 minutes while they tried to find it - and finally, they came out with a box. Tossed the box in the back of my car, and drove straight to Disney. Checked in, dropped everything in my room, then grabbed the RX10 which was on top and ran out to a meetup for the photo group in an hour. Wasn't until 11pm at night when I got back to my room I was able to open the box, make sure everything inside was as promised and not damaged.

Then just to add insult to injury, we had a weather front moving through right in the middle of our Disney meetup, and the skies were mostly cloudy and overcast almost the entire way through - with just a few small breaks - so I didn't get wonderful light to really play with the lens - but at least got to see how it does in not-good light as well as indoor and dark ride.

Anyway - here's just a random mix of scenes, all around the Disney parks.  This wasn't a true 'test' shoot - I didn't have the chance to compare to other lenses, and I didn't specifically set out to try varying apertures and settings...I was just walking around and shooting stuff that caught my interest - pretty much as if I had the lens for years and it was just one to grab and shoot when needed.

All shots are posted at 1400 pixels on the long side if you click the originals - I could go back and take some 100% crops on some of these when I get the chance to do a little more post-processing - maybe this weekend.  In the meantime, this is just to share shots from the trip with this lens:

A quick look of the view from my patio villa on the Boardwalk - across the lake to Beach and Yacht Club resort - the morning weather was starting out promising, but went downhill quickly!

The great stone fireplace inside the Wilderness Lodge Resort - decorated for Christmas

The big 40-foot tree in the Wilderness Lodge lobby

A 'dark ride' scene - a classic from the Pirates of the Caribbean at F1.4 and ISO6400.  I actually have never been able to get this shot - my previous primes were always 30-35mm, which meant shooting either the prisoners or the dog, but not both.  This is why I wanted the wider lens!

An F1.4 closeup of Christmas decor in overcast light - and with the added strangeness of smoke drifting through the background from a recent firework stage show

Inside Skipper's Canteen restaurant in Magic Kingdom

Night ride on the Jungle Cruise boat, F1.4, ISO 10,000 - scene of the elephants playing in the water

In the 'souk' of Morocco at Epcot - I always love the lower light through the reed roof

Overcast light, but at least a small bit of blue sky in this direction, shooting the tower in Morocco

Christmas display in France pavilion, in Epcot

In-camera HDR is one way to deal with bad overcast skies and light - it keeps the skies from blowing out to pure white while still getting shadow details and color in the buildings - the people get a slow-shutter effect as they move around

As sunset approached, the light got a little warmer through the clouds and haze, so again using in-camera HDR to get a little pop in the buildings and trees while keeping the sky from blowing out in this shot of the France pavilion from across the river

These classic English cottages and buildings house the stores for the UK Pavilion in Epcot - in-camera HDR used

The streets of the UK Pavilion in Epcot with Christmas decor, in-camera HDR

The always-popular Rose & Crown pub in Epcot (in-camera HDR)

One last shot showing the crazy scenery of the planet Pandora - this taken just after sunset in dark conditions, using F1.4 and ISO1600.  I was shooting handheld as I didn't feel like bringing the tripod given the horrible overcast all day - but the skies broke fairly clear in the evening, along with temps in the mid-30s F!

Comments, questions, and critique welcomed as always.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +22 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow