Works Well on E Mount Bodies Like a6300 / a6500

Started 9 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Off The Mark Senior Member • Posts: 1,652
Works Well on E Mount Bodies Like a6300 / a6500

If you have an LA-EA1 adapter (or plan on getting one), this is a terrific lens to buy.

Firstly, it is surprisingly sharp. f/2.8 is sharp enough, and by f/3.5 it is really a sharp lens. There is some CA, but you can take care of most of it within lightroom.

The bokeh is pretty good, even though it is f/2.8 only. I wouldn't describe the bokeh as "dreamy" but I would say it is definitely pleasant in the f/2.8 to f/4 range when shooting at headshot distances.

It is also very light and even with the adapter it balances well with the a6300 and a6500 bodies. Because it is so light and balances well, I can use the IBIS of the a6500 and handhold at about 1/40th of a second and still get sharp images (and I have shaky hands and the attention span of a chimpanzee on Red Bull).

Autofocus is fine in decent light on the a6300 and a6500. It is SLOW on the a6000 though, so I wouldn't try to adapter it with that body.

I personally like the 85mm focal length on crop sensor cameras (equal to about 128mm on full frame) for doing headshots and 1/2 length portraits. I feel it gives the face a very flattering perspective.

I also use it for landscapes and it works quite well at that, too. (I know most people laugh at using an 85mm lens on a crop sensor body for landscapes but it really is a good lens to bring with you next time you go hiking).

It is affordable. I bought mine used for about $140 (and I bought my LA-EA1 adapter used for only $50.)

Unfortunately, I don't own a Sony full frame body, so I can't say either way how it would work.

-- hide signature --

Stay Broke... Shoot Sony!

Off The Mark's gear list:Off The Mark's gear list
Sony a6000 Nikon D750 Sony a6500 Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +5 more
Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM
Telephoto prime lens • Sony/Minolta Alpha • SAL85F28
Announced: Jul 27, 2010
Off The Mark's score
Average community score
Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sony a6000 Sony a6300 Sony a6500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow