Help me evaluate my new Samyang 12mm copy

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
geopapa Regular Member • Posts: 258
Help me evaluate my new Samyang 12mm copy

I recently ordered a Samyang 12mm 2.0 for my a6000 which arrived yesterday. The price was too good to resist trying it. So I went out and took some shots.

My first question to be answered was what comes naturally "how much sharper is it from the kit lens?". So I shot the same scene with an ultrapod tripod and steadyshot off. I tried focusing on the top tree branches. I really tried to focus as precise as I could using magnification and focus peaking. My finding was that I always returned to the vertical mark before infinity mark. I also observed that moving from the vertical mark to infinity mark didn't make any visible difference (tried multiple times and my vision is very good and the focus peaking didn't shot anything at full magnification, maybe it is a limitation of the lcd/viewfinder resolution).

My observations are:

1. The color is was different (as it was expected). The Samy has some purple color cast and the Sony a more blue one.

2. The Samy is a bit sharper on the edges (I expected to be a lot sharper)

3. There's purple fringing in the Samy (no problem with that as it can be corrected)

4. The Sony is more flare resistant

I'm sure the 4mm difference is huge and will come handy at times, although I think the 16mm focal length covers most of my needs but I'm not sure If it's worth it for me to carry another lens in my bag if I only consider the quality difference. I'm sure I'll have to carry some more tests with the lens.

What are your views? (all images are sooc, vivid profile, no processing)

16-50 kit lens at 16mm, f/8

Samyang 12mm, f/8

I also attach a closeup image that I enjoyed (and it was easier to perfectly focus):

Samyang 12mm, f/2

geopapa's gear list:geopapa's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Samyang 12mm F2 NCS CS Sigma 30mm F1.4 for Sony E +1 more
Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow