Lens color casts and color rendering and ColorChecker

Started 10 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
billslatteryjr Contributing Member • Posts: 610
Lens color casts and color rendering and ColorChecker

After reading some interesting posts on color casts and the way different lenses produce different color renditions I'm wondering if anyone has any opinions on this:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/651253-REG/X_Rite_MSCCPP_ColorChecker_Passport.html

Picked up a pair of the pink ones at half price.

My color perception is horrible. Also suffer from a good case of face blindness. So the ColorChecker seemed like it'd make a good crutch. So far I've used it for a swim meet and a basketball game both under fluorescent lights and a wrestling match under LED lighting. Using it on location first to set a Pre in camera white balance and then took a couple on location photos of the color chart for use in Lightroom before shooting the events. Once home the color chart photos were used to set up a custom Camera Calibration in LR. To my eyes and the 2 others that I had look the ColorChecker produced a more saturated less pleasing photo than using Camera Neutral.

So do any of you use this for various types of indoor lighting and find it consistently more pleasing than LR's standard Camera Calibrations? Is it my monitor? Wouldn't using something like this make the color renditions of various lenses a mute subject? Thanks.

ColorChecker fluorescent

Camera Neutral fluorescent

Camera Neutral LED

ColorChecker LED

-- hide signature --

"The artist sees what others only catch a glimpse of." Leonardo Da Vinci
http://www.shippensburgsports.com/

billslatteryjr's gear list:billslatteryjr's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Nikon D5 Nikon D7500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8G ED VR II +9 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow