TG5 Goes Snorkelling to Big Island

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Dale108
Dale108 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,248
TG5 Goes Snorkelling to Big Island

I have been using the TG series (4 and now 5) for snorkelling for the past 2 years.  This fall I sold the TG4 and upgraded to the TG5.  Our first trip with the TG5 was to the Big Island of Hawaii.  Was it worth the upgrade?  For me it was as I find the following advantages of the TG5 useful:

• Control dial allows more control of shooting parameters such as exposure compensation in P mode and aperture in A mode;
  • Faster continuous shooting with RAW+ JPEG support is useful;
  • Better video quality.
  • Overall easier to change settings and shoot with while underwater.

Below are some example photos from our trip.  Note that since the TG5 has a tiny sensor, the best underwater photos are during sunny days close to the surface.  Clear water is also required as water has different light transmission qualities to air.

So is IQ better with the 12 MP sensor?  To me I didn't see a big difference;  possibly small increase in higher ISO values.  Still I am satisfied with the TG5 as it is easier to shoot with and very fun.  The microscope mode on tG5 and 4 is great.

Dale

Dale108's gear list:Dale108's gear list
Pentax K-1
Olympus Tough TG-4
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow