How serious is the "waxy skin tones" problem?

Started Dec 15, 2017 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
AMSOS Regular Member • Posts: 435
How serious is the "waxy skin tones" problem?

I was only vaguely aware of the issue, but now realise that there are a lot of people out there saying that high ISO people shots are a problem with Fujis.

At the moment the question for me is which Fuji to get and not whether I should get a Fuji at all (I have in mind either the XE3 or the XE2s since I don't need most of the features of the newer body).

Now I do plan to take a lot of people shots at high ISO I am definitely worried about how serious the issue is.

Seeing this article from a well known site is the catalyst for this post -

https://petapixel.com/2017/01/27/x-trans-promise-problem/

and of course I have seen a more favourable opinion on Fujirumours.

Looking around I can see that there is no problem if you shoot RAW. But here's the nub - I want to mostly shoot jpeg's, and process RAW only using the in-camera conversion. If I do so will I be able to overcome the waxy tones issue?

In general, I am sure that there are a lot of portrait photographers shooting Fuji so is shooting RAW the only way they avoid this problem?

So, is my choice either to give up shooting jpeg's or to give up on Fuji? !

I would appreciate if members don't end up in technical sounding hairsplitting arguments which will not help me understand the issue much.

If there are workarounds please let me know!

AMSOS's gear list:AMSOS's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2S Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
cjb
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow