Good most of the time...

Started 9 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
alfaholic
alfaholic Forum Member • Posts: 78
Good most of the time...

When I decided to move from Nikon to Fuji X-T2 was my first choice, but it was too expensive so I decided it is better to buy X-T20 with more lenses than spend all money on camera body. There was not store with one unpacked close to me, and no one wanted to unpack one for me just to see how big and usable is the EVF, which was my major concern, but after seeing some second hand X-T10 I decided to make the move and buy it.

I was worried about EVF size and usability, also the small seize because I have relatively large hands, and I thought a lot about battery life, but none of this was really a problem. EVF is just great, very usable, I would say the same size as on my previous Nikon D7100, which is really good enough for me. The size is also very good, I love how light and small this camera is, and with 35mm f2 attached it is very pleasure to carry around and have it with me all the time. Battery life is good, at least for me. I do not turn off the camera ever, it shuts off by itself after 30 seconds, I usually make few photos from time to time, so it sits in my drawer waiting for me to pick it up, and for my way of use the battery can last for few days without problems. Also, I am using EVF only, without chimping too much.

I did not thoroughly tested the video, but as far as I can see it has very good quality, it has nice dynamic range, and high ISO noise is just superb.

There are small things I find problematic, one of those is that X-Trans matrix, which is not very good with Lightroom sharpening. I know there is many other options there, but I simply can not see the difference in moire and aliasing if compared to Nikon D7100 , which does not have OLPF as well. I believe this is Fuji's way to be different and a marketing trick, nothing more, but it can give us a trouble editing those RAF files in Adobe software. There is no way to turn off sharpening and noise reduction completely in the camera, RAF files are a bit larger than Nikon 24mpix NEF files, also RAF files are slower to load in Mac's preview.

All in all I really like this camera. I am still in search for best workflow with those RAF files, but I believe Iridient X-Transformer and Adobe Lightroom will be my way to edit those Fuji RAF files.

-- hide signature --

The more things change, the more they stay the same...

alfaholic's gear list:alfaholic's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR
Fujifilm X-T20
24 megapixels • 3 screen • APS-C sensor
Announced: Jan 19, 2017
alfaholic's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
great
Action / sports
good
Landscapes / scenery
okay
Portraits
good
Low light (without flash)
good
Flash photography (social)
good
Studio / still life
good
= community average
Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow