Decent lens, but far from perfect...

Started 5 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
alfaholic
alfaholic Forum Member • Posts: 72
Decent lens, but far from perfect...

When I moved from Nikon to Fuji I needed 35mm fast prime I am used to, so I decided to buy Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR. I previously had AF-S DX NIKKOR
35mm f/1.8G, and Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM Art so it is inevitable to compare the new Fujifilm 35mm f2 lens with those two.

Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR is a little bit soft wide open, close up picture quality is not very good, but it has decent contrast and chromatic aberrations are not that problematic. Compared to Nikkor 35mm f1.8G it is not as sharp, but it has less CA, while compared to Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM Art it has less ghosting, more contrast, and about the same sharpness wide open while it better controls longitudinal CA.

This lens has very good build quality, but the picture quality is just about average. I have only 3 Fujinon lenses, but this 35mm F2 R WR and 18-55mmF2.8-4 R LM OIS I would call underdeveloped. Fuji decided to correct CA and distortion in camera, so those two lenses have real optical problems without being very sharp no matter how stopped down they are. Both lenses have extensive levels of distortion, which is maybe not a problem for end user, but that is something I am not used to.

For my, this is all about compromises. I needed something smaller than my Nikon, and Fuji X-T20 with those 3 lenses I have is really what I needed, and I really like my gear.I am not saying that Nikon gear I sold was perfect, oh it was not, it was far from perfect. I am saying that there is some hype about Fujinon lenses, people often brag about how good and sharp they are, also their price is noticeably higher than Nikon and Canon crop sensor lenses, I was expecting them to be sharp and optically superior, but that is just not the case.

-- hide signature --

The more things change, the more they stay the same...

alfaholic's gear list:alfaholic's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR
Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR
Prime lens • Fujifilm X
Announced: Oct 21, 2015
alfaholic's score
Average community score
Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Fujifilm X-T20
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow