Not a very sharp lens...

Started 5 months ago | User reviews thread
All forumsForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat
alfaholic
alfaholic Forum Member • Posts: 72
Not a very sharp lens...

When I decided to move from Nikon to Fuji this lens was my first choice because I needed one versatile, and moderately fast zoom to start with. My initial idea was to buy Fuji and use it beside my Nikon, just to be sure it is good for me before I sell all my Nikon gear, but then I started to compare it with my Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM I found out that Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS is not a very sharp lens at all.

I was surprised by this because so many people online said that this lens is very sharp, and very well built. Although its build quality is very good indeed, it is relatively soft and the bokeh is nothing to brag about, I would say not very pretty. After comparing with another one in the store, and with few more online by downloading RAF files, I concluded that this lens is just about average, it has the same level of sharpness as Nikon and Canon counterparts, no matter what everyone is saying. It is of course built better and that is why many people like it, but for me that is not enough.

I used to Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM and its sharpness, contrast and bokeh, and those two lenses cost about the same. I must say that Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS is has almost the same lever of sharpness/softness from corner to corner, while Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM is very sharp in the middle, but it is much softer at the edges of the frame.

I will keep this lens because I need relatively small and versatile zoom, while 16-50 f3.5-5.6 is really cheaply made and slow, and 16-55 f2.8 is much more expensive, larger and heavier, also it does not have OIS.

-- hide signature --

The more things change, the more they stay the same...

alfaholic's gear list:alfaholic's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR
Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Zoom lens • Fujifilm X • 16276479
Announced: Sep 6, 2012
alfaholic's score
Average community score
Flat
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
rlx
rlx
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow