Is it practical to use 8-18mm to cover super wide and 36mm photojournalist fov?

Started 11 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
HaoAndHui Regular Member • Posts: 447
Is it practical to use 8-18mm to cover super wide and 36mm photojournalist fov?

Apology for the question title, I can't think of anything better to describe the question. I plan to drive from Melbourne to Adelaide this christmas, and I want to get some opinion on the lens.

I thought 8mm could be useful for landscape, especially on the way I'll visit the Great Ocean Road; Then the equivalent of 36mm could be a good workaround focal length. So this lens could serve my two purposes.

I'm fully aware that, this lens isn't the same as 8mm and 18mm primes, in terms of handling / IQ / max aperture, etc, I mainly take photos during the day and willing to sacrifice some handling (weight) for the convenience of single lens, furthermore, I don't think DOF is a problem given that even a 18mm prime isn't going to give me much more thin DOF.

The thing I'm not sure is, given that 8-18 is a zoom lens with super wide angle covered, what difference would I see for 18mm of 8-18mm, compared to a prime 18mm? Apart from max aperture.

Is my thinking generally correct?

Thanks!

-- hide signature --

Instagram: instagram.com/haozhe.xu

HaoAndHui's gear list:HaoAndHui's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +3 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow