Exposure Compensation in Manual Mode

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
RajatCh New Member • Posts: 4
Exposure Compensation in Manual Mode

I read a lot about using exposure compensation and I think I still have some misconceptions.

AFAIK, exposure compensation is used to help camera's inbuilt metering mode, in getting the right exposure. If we are in Aperture Priority or Shutter priority, the camera using its metering mode will decide an exposure. That may be wrong or right. Exposure compensation is just to make it right, when camera's assessment isn't correct. With non-zero Exposure Comp. the camera will adjust the shutter speed ( if in A-mode) or Aperture (if in S-mode), to get the desired exposure.

If that's true, ExposureComp. shouldn't have any affect while shooting in Manual Mode. Since all three exposure parameters (shutter speed, ISO and Aperture) are controlled manually. Camera doesn't have a way of adjusting the exposure.

Am I missing something here? If all this is correct, my picture shouldn't brighten up if I increase the Exposure Comp. in Manual mode, right? But they do.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow