Stick with the 100-400 or rent out the 200mm 2.8

Started 10 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
C Sean Senior Member • Posts: 1,641
Stick with the 100-400 or rent out the 200mm 2.8

In a few months time I will be in South Africa and I will be touring the Southern half of Kruger National Park. When it comes to gear, I basically have everything I need except additional SD cards and clothes designed for trekking in a hot environment. Since I will be spending a few days in each camp, I want to pack light when it comes to clothes. So this saves me re packing every few days and spend more time exploring.

Sadly Panasonic decide to release the 200mm 2.8 before my trip and the question is should I take advantage of this opportunity and rent the 200mm 2.8 or use the 100-400 which I already invested in?

This is what I originally planned to bring

• 100-400
  • 35-100
  • 12-35
  • 45mm 2.8

Out of the four lenses the 45mm 2.8 is going to be the most useless and will be used for walk around.

Since the 200mm 2.8 is a bigger lens compared to the 100-400, I don't think I will take as much gear. The other thing I will likely use the teleconverter on the lens 80% of the time to get the approx 280mm focal length. This means I will have to rely on the 35-100 for close or wider shots. It could work but I think I would need a lens with a longer zoom range like the 40-150mm 2.8 or the unreleased 50-200. Both lenses I don't own but I would like to read the 200mm 2.8 plus 50-200 combo put in use. That would be very interesting.

We know the Panasonic 200mm 2.8 is sharper and blur the background better than any other existing Panasonic long telephoto lens. With that lens, I will get the look but the Panasonic 100-400 will let me frame the shots better. Do I play it safe and photograph with what I find comfortable  or push my skills with the 200mm 2.8?

Thoughts?

I know zooms are a lot more practical however, there are those who champion these telephoto primes.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
TRP
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow