At what point do we say “good enough”.

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
CraigVMN Regular Member • Posts: 396

There are many threads on this forum that touch on this subject, as it relates to the original topic, but…

I will approach this conversation from the standpoint of people creating digital images for sharing and viewing “electronically”, not printed, as that process requires more steps and considerations. A lot of people come here seeking advice on equipment and software, i.e. “what monitor should I get for color accuracy”, “what software are people using and why”, “To 4k or not to 4k”...etc. All valid questions, and it’s always OK to seek advice, but there are so many factors which need to be taken into account.

Such as, a 4k display is equivalent to less than nine megapixels. 9! Can you even buy a 9MP camera these days? Not likely. Then there’s the matter of display calibration. We all want our images to posses accurate color, contrast and exposure, right? What about the displays of the people viewing your work - Are they also calibrated? Do they use the same technology like LED, LCD, OLED, Retina Vision…? I know when I open a RAW image in DXO Photolab for initial tweaking, I can get it to look just how I want it. But when I choose to export that image as a DNG to Photoshop for further editing, immediately upon opening the image in a different program, it looks...different. I edit some more, save it as a PNG, upload it to Facebook, and it looks different there, as it does here, or on Imgur, Photobucket, dropbox...even if I pull up the same image in Windows 10 photo viewer, it looks different.

As the creators of these pictures, we invest time, money and our creative spirit into making the image appear just the way we want, but since we don’t know how it appears on someone else's display, just how much do our efforts count? Then we throw in the subjective nature of what we do. Here we sometimes ask others to critique and comment on our work, ask “how would you change/edit this pic” or even dare to enter one of the challenges, for which our efforts will be judged by others. Does a contrary opinion invalidate our own? Does a thumbs up mean our vision is an absolute to be upheld?

The whole shebang can become complicated very quickly. So, at what point do you as the image creator say “yep, that’s the shot, that’s the image I set out to create” and share it with the world?

CraigVMN's gear list:CraigVMN's gear list
Samsung NX500 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Samsung NX 16mm F2.4 Pancake Samsung NX 12-24mm F4-5.6 ED +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow