Canon 50 1.2L arrived - first shot!

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Flat view
Retzius Contributing Member • Posts: 689
Canon 50 1.2L arrived - first shot!

Hello everyone.

UPS dropped my 50 1.2L off at work yesterday and I couldn't wait to test it out. I had to pick my son up from soccer practice so I decided to get a shot of him after practice coming off the field. Conditions were pretty bad; it was cold, windy, foggy, and it was pitch black outside other than the lighting provided by the field lights.

I positioned him with one field light to the side as a key light, one field light behind him as a rim light, and a more distant field light to the other side as a fill light (I mean who says you can't get Rembrandt lighting on an athletic field...). I attached the lens, set the aperture at 1.2, focused on his face and took the shot.

All things considered I like it! I am pretty impressed with the lens so far. Build quality is fantastic, AF was very fast, accurate, and confident even in the dark on my 5d Mk IV. The big field lights didn't produce any weird lens flares (I didn't use the hood, it was still in the box). The details looks very nice even wide open in suboptimal lighting conditions and more importantly, bokeh and subject isolation are great.

I look forward to a long and fruitful relationship with this lens.

Have a good week!

Retzius's gear list:Retzius's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +1 more
Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow