GX80 Frustration

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
kdxn New Member • Posts: 3
GX80 Frustration

Long term user of LX5, got some great pictures, good enough for a self published book which has sold. However after an early dunk in a river, whilst it was on, eventual recovery and five years subsequent use, dials are now mis-functioning and screen poor. So decided to upgrade to a larger sensor with the GX80 after reading many positive reviews here.

Have struggled to use the GX80 for the last year and before I give up on it. Wanted to post this and see if anyone could provide guidance. My historic background is with colour slides and digital Canon cameras. I expect an OOC JPG to be realistic in terms of colour and exposure and that was my experience with the LX5 using AWB.

My GX80 has been used in Standard mode with AWB. My pictures have suffered incorrect exposure, out of focus and over-saturation of some colours especially red - my LX5 used at the same time has, despite the mechanical dial issues, produced good realistic images. My partner's G1 produces good images without having to mess about.

Reading through some of these forums, I see that a lot of you are experimenting with the different picture modes, WB modes, colour saturation, NR, iDynamic etc. etc. but all these settings are different - there is no consistency amongst you. Am I the only one to think that this is wrong ? Whatever happened to setting the ISO, shutter speed, aperture and focus and getting a good image ? Are we having to compensate for poor quality manufacture of the digital sensors ?

My brand loyalty with Panasonic because of the LX5 has been destroyed by frustation with the GX80.

Having bought the GX80, I want to make it work. How can I get good OOC JPG's from it ?

Or do I switch to Fuji X-T20 or Fuji X-E3, Sony RX100 V or go back to a bulky Canon ?

Fujifilm X-T20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Sony RX100 V
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow