What new lens should I buy?

Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MinnesotaJay New Member • Posts: 6
What new lens should I buy?

Hello everyone. I could use some help with my upcoming lens purchase. Let’s start off by saying I recently discovered the joy of photography and very recently sold off my entire kit to upgrade to full frame. I went with the Sony a7ii. To get started, I also picked up the cheap 50mm f1.8.

Well now it’s time to invest in another lens and I’m having a hard time deciding what to do. Generally my photographs are of my family (including the pets!) and nature/landscape. We have a baby due in the next few months and I’m really looking forward to capturing moments of her!

I’m looking to keep my purchase under $1000. I really want to pick up the 55mm 1.8 and then sell off my cheap 50mm 1.8, but the sale price won’t get me much. I should really just keep my 50mm and pick up another focal length, but I’m struggling with the fact that a great focal length like 50mm would be my worst lens. I’ve been looking at quite a few lenses such as: 35mm f2.8, 55mm 1.8, 85mm f1.8, 90mm f2.8 (I really want to stick to native lenses for now).

I hope that talking with other photographers will help me with this decision. Does anyone think I should actually make the trade between the 50mm and 55mm? What was your first big lens purchase?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow