Comparison samples: Olympus 45mm vs Panasonic 42.5mm

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MinAZ
MinAZ Senior Member • Posts: 4,143
Comparison samples: Olympus 45mm vs Panasonic 42.5mm

Here are some pictures I took this morning using both lenses in the same situation, same settings. The subject moved and changed pose, but everything else stayed the same. The first is outdoors, the second indoors.

All images are Straight Out of Camera (SOOC), unretouched, using camera default aperture-priority settings at f/1.2.

My personal impression so far is this: I do slightly prefer the Olympus 45mm rendering of the bokeh areas, not that the Leica was horrible. Both lenses had no problem focusing. Both lenses are plenty sharp, but perhaps the Olympus seems slightly sharper (but I'm not confident enough to make a statement on this - the difference is not super obvious to my eyes in the areas I care to look at). As a portrait photographer, I could not tell you anything about corner sharpness, coma, astigmatism, etc... CA isn't present in these examples but then again I wasn't shooting into the sun with trees in the background, so it wasn't like I was testing for it either. I'll probably sell the Panasonic Leica, but I'll add to the chorus: if you have the Panasonic, it probably wouldn't matter enough to bother to "upgrade," unless you really are going for the bokeh of the Olympus. I'd personally say rather save the time and money for something else. Bokeh is not everything (to put this into perspective, I think the nicest shot I got in the series was shot at f/5.6 using the Olympus - picture not shown).

Olympus

Panasonic

Olympus

Panasonic

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow