FE 24-105 - Do I need this lens?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Flat view
npires Senior Member • Posts: 1,654
FE 24-105 - Do I need this lens?

Hey all,
Toying with the idea about getting the FE 24-105 after seeing glowing reviews from others here. As it's a significant outlay been deciding if it's worth getting now or not bothering.
My current FE lens I have to go with my A7M2 are:

FE 55
FE 16-35 F4
FE 28-70
FE 70-200G F4

I shoot mostly landscape but on the odd occasion having a bit more zoom would be beneficial to me without having to change lens. It appeals having a good decent wide to mid zoom. Question is does this lens focus closely on the wide end?
I recently shot an event using the 28-70 and found it sluggish in low light and especially at close objects. If the 24-105 is sharp as others make out and can focus closely then that will be a winner.

Also thinking about it the 24-240mm what are peoples thought's on that lens? I hear it's quite soft and not that good also being slow. How does it compare to the kit lens would it give decent images too? I guess on the wide end it wouldn't be as good as the 16-35?

An avid Kickstarter Superbacker with a penchant for all things, Tech, Travel and Bag related.

npires's gear list:npires's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha a7 II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 +3 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow